Skip Navigation

Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO) Licensing

What a HMO is and how to apply for a licence.


A house of multiple occupation is a property rented out by at least 3 people who are not from 1 'household' (eg a family) but share facilities like the bathroom and kitchen. It's sometimes called a 'house share'.

Some houses in multiple occupation require a licence. A property needs a licence if it has:

  • 3 or more storeys
  • 5 or more people in more than one household
  • People share amenities such as bathrooms, toilets and cooking facilities

If you are changing the use of a property to become a HMO, you may require Planning and Building Regulation approvals.

You can pdf icon apply for a HMO licence [61kb]. pdf icon Guidance notes [29kb]

You can also pdf icon apply to renew your HMO licence [51kb]. pdf icon Guidance notes for HMO renewals. [33kb]

Landlord and Agents

If you are a landlord or agent, you may wish to read our pdf icon management guide for Houses in Multiple Occupation [753kb]