Skip Navigation

Caravan Site Licensing

Find out if you need to have a licence and how to apply for one.


You can only use land as a caravan site if the land has planning consent, and the occupier holds a site license that is issued by the Council.

If you are an existing site owner you should already have a site licence. If you have recently become a site owner of an existing site, you will need to contact the Council to arrange for the site licence to be transferred to you.

Licences are issued subject to conditions, which may include:

  • The type of caravan e.g residential, static holiday, or touring
  • The permitted density (the number per acre or hectare) and spacing between caravans
  • Water supply and drainage, lavatory and washing facilities
  • Fire precautions and electrical installations.

In certain cases, a site licence may be issued if the land does not have planning consent:

  • A caravan sited within the cartilage of a dwelling and its use is incidental to the use of the dwelling (meaning it cannot be occupied separately)
  • A single caravan sited for not more than two consecutive nights for a maximum of 28 in any 12 months
  • Up to 3 caravans on a site of not less than five acres for a maximum of 28 days in any 12 months
  • Sites occupied by exempt organisations such as the Caravan Club
  • Sites of up to five acres certified by an exempt organisation and which are for members only
  • Sites occupied by a local authority (usually gypsy sites)
  • Sites for temporary and special purposes such as caravan rallies, agricultural and forestry workers, building and engineering sites etc
  • A site for tents only can be used for a maximum of 28 days in any 12 months

A licence is required by proprietors of caravan sites provided for members of the public, and is for life unless surrendered or revoked. All caravan sites require a site licence, except for:

  • those registered with the Caravan Club (CL) with a maximum of 5 pitches
  • those registered with the Camping and Caravan Club (CS) with a maximum of 5 touring pitches and 5 tent pitches
  • those granted for holiday use
  • any site in existence prior to 1960.

The Mobile Homes Act 2013 amends the law in relation to residential Caravan sites. These are more often known as Mobile Homes or Park Home sites, and can now be considered as "Relevant Protected Sites" under the new act. More information can be found above in 'Park Homes - Know Your Rights.'

To view site rules on all "relevant protected sites" in Fenland please view PDF attachment