Skip Navigation

Street Furniture

Information about Street Furniture and Street Name Plates, including how to report a fault.

Street Furniture

There are thousands of pieces of street furniture across Fenland. Usually, Fenland District Council is responsible for maintaining:

  • Street Name Plates (where the road has been adopted by the local Highway Authority which is Cambridgeshire County Council)
  • Public seats and benches within town centre areas
  • "Brown" Tourist Information signs
  • Bus Shelters
  • Cycle Racks and Shelters
  • Street Lights (if owned by us)
  • District and Town Boundary signs

Some Town and Parish Councils look after their own seats, litter bins, street lights and bus shelters. This means that they are responsible for their maintenance and repair.

Reporting a problem with street furniture

You can report it online. or by emailing assets&

We aim to inspect the problem and begin repairs within 10 working days. In some cases, full repairs and replacements can take up to eight weeks. 

Street Name Plates

Putting Street Name Plates in new developments is the responsibility of the site developer. They must follow the Council's Street Naming and Numbering policy.

Fenland District Council is responsible for their repair and replacement once the development has been completed and the road has been adopted. 

Street name plates are there to identify the street and are not intended to serve as a directional boundary, gateway, village or entrance sign. It is an offence to attach advertisements, deface or obstruct the plate.