Skip Navigation

Street Naming and Numbering

Postcode, street signage, house name and address advice.

Street Naming

The Council's Street Naming and Numbering Officer is responsible for naming the streets on new developments. This requires careful consideration to make sure that they are suitable. Names must not conflict with or be the same as existing ones nearby.

Usually the developer will propose street names. These are considered by the Council, Councillors, Royal Mail, the Fire Authority and Town/Parish Councils before they are adopted. Read word icon street naming advice for developers [29kb].

Buildings are usually numbered on a new street at the same time as it is named. Numbers are given to new buildings that are erected in an existing street.

Roads are often un-numbered in rural areas. This means house owners usually choose to name their property. You need to contact our Street Naming and Numbering Officer if you want to name your property (or change its existing name). Apply for your house name to be changed.

Details of (adopted) street naming and numbering schemes are sent to the emergency services, Royal Mail and the Land Registry office. 


Postcodes are issued by Royal Mail. You can search for a postcode or address using the postcode finder on Royal Mail's website.

New build addresses

If you have been given an address by the Council it will be added to Royal Mail's 'Not Yet Built' database. They will put the address on the live database once the building is complete. To do this, call the Royal Mail maintenance team on 08456 011 110 (selecting option 3 then option 1).

Problems with addresses and postcodes

You should firstly check out the Royal Mail's address and postcode finder

If that doesn't answer your query, contact us using our online form or by emailing