Skip Navigation

Custom and self build

If you are interested in a custom build project you can declare your interest on our self build register.


Custom and self build housing

The Council has a register for people who are seeking to buy a serviced plot of land in Fenland District Council's administrative area.

The Government has issued regulations about eligibility for entry on the register. An individual is eligible for entry on the register if they are:

  • aged 18 or over
  • a British citizen, a national of an EEA State other than the United Kingdom, or a national of Switzerland
  • seeking (either alone or with others) to acquire a plot of land in the relevant authority's area to build a house to occupy as that individual's sole or main residence.

If the applicant is a group or an association, each member must fulfil the eligibility criteria.

There are various types of custom build project. These include:

  • Individual custom build - an individual purchases a plot of land and builds a house to live in. They may do some or all of the build themselves. In some cases they may employ a builder, architect or project manager to oversee the build. 
  • Group custom build - a group of people come together to design and develop a custom build housing development which they live in. They may build this themselves or with help from a developer to manage the project.
  • Developer-led custom build - a developer divides a larger site into individual plots and provides a design and build service to purchasers. This gives people a chance to tailor existing house designs to suit their own preference and needs.

Registering your interest

If you would like to register your interest, please complete the online registration form below.

How we will use information from the Register

By signing up you will help us find out more about the demand for custom build plots. Registration does not guarantee that a suitable plot will be identified or become available. 

We will not pass identifiable information from the Register onto anyone outside the Council without the written consent of the person who registered their details. 

iCM Form
  1. Self Build Register
  2. Contact details
    1. Address
  3. About you