Bulky Waste / Large Items
Do you have a large item, like a fridge or sofa, that you're not sure how to get rid of? Find out how to donate it, take it to a household recycling centre or arrange for the council to collect it.
This service is for the collection of household waste items which will not fit in your wheeled bin.
It is not for the disposal of general excess waste which can be taken to one of Cambridgeshire County Council's recycling centres.
You can arrange for the Council to collect your items for a fee. To make an enquiry, please contact us.
What items do we collect?
We collect a range of items, as detailed in the table below:
|Armchairs||Bed*||Bedside unit or cabinet||Bench||Bookcase||Cabinet|
|Carpet*||Chair||Chest of drawers||Computer||Cooker||Cupboard|
|Desk||Dining Tables||Dining Chairs*||Domestic Fridges and Freezers||Dressing Table||Heater|
|Microwave||Side board||Small electrical item||Sofa||Shelves (freestanding)||Stool|
|Table||Television||Three piece suite*||Tumble dryer or spin drier||Vacuum Cleaner||Wardrobe (freestanding)|
|Washing Machine||Waste Electrical Equipment|
Please note that:
- Items must be household items only; they should not be fixtures or fittings, but items that one might move upon moving home.
- The Bulky Waste Service offered by the council is not a house clearance service. Items must be easily accessible at one point outside the property, or where you usually leave your rubbish
- Items must not be filled with other rubbish
There are certain items that we do not collect as Bulky Waste. However, we can arrange a quote for the following items:
|Fitted kitchens (removed)||Trees, Shrubs, Garden Waste||Garden Furniture||General Builders Waste||Large Fire Surrounds|
|Large Gates||Wire Fencing||Piano||Sinks, Baths, Toilets or similar||Work Surface|
|Bags of Rubble||Commercial Fridges||Commercial Waste||Concrete Posts||Fence Panels|
|Garage Doors||Greenhouses||Sheds||Water Tanks||Window Frames|
What items can't we collect?
Even on a chargeable basis, we are unable to collect the following items:
- Car / Motorbike Parts
- Fluid Containers / Paint e.g drums
- Gas Bottles
The collection of up to 4 items per visit (including fridges) is £29.50. Additional items are charged at a cost of £14.50 each. Please note that:
- a bed base, bedstead and mattress is treated as one item
- 1 - 4 Dining Chairs is treated as one item, 4-8 is treated as 2 items
- A three piece suite is treated as 3 items
- Carpet does not include underlay; this is a separate item. A one room carpet is one item but must be manageable by one person; otherwise cut into pieces, rolled or tied.
Please note that we operate a non-refundable policy. Once a request for the service has been processed, we are unable to refund it as the cost includes the time and administration of the transaction.
When will my items be collected?
Collections will normally happen between 7am and 3 pm, and we ask that you leave all items out by 7am on the day of collection. The earliest you can put your items out is the night before collection - so please don't leave things out any earlier than this. The collection days for the district are as follows. If a collection falls on a Bank Holiday the collection will be made on the same day of the following week.
|Chatteris||Christchurch||Foul Anchor||Four Gotes||Benwick||Colham|
|Tipps End||Welches Dam||Newton||Parson Drove||Pondersbridge||March|
|Wimblington||Throckenholt||Tholomas Drove||Ramsey Mereside||Three Holes|
|Tydd Gote||Tydd St Giles||Rings End||Waldersey|
|Wisbech St Mary||Turves|
Please note that:
- The council's employees do not enter a property, garage or shed to collect materials
- Only items that are reported will be removed. If two identical items are on site but only one on the request, none of the items in question will be taken
- An item will only be removed if it is of a manageable weight. The council reserves the right to refuse any item at its discretion
How else can I get rid of Bulky Waste items?
You may wish to consider donating your items to a charity or social enterprise. Many are happy to accept furniture, working white goods (i.e fridges or washing machines), electrical items, and soft furnishings (provided they have the original fire retardant label still attached. The British Heart Foundation can collect from Fenland properties - visit their website for more information or call 0808 250 0030.
You could also take your item(s) to a Household Waste site. This is free of charge for household waste, and you may be required to prove it is residential waste through proof of residency. Click here to find your nearest Household Waste site and find what items they accept