Skip Navigation

Pest Control

Advice on dealing with common types of pests.

Pest Control

Fenland District Council does not provide a pest control service and it is not required to do so. You are responsible for keeping your land and buildings free from vermin. If your property has an infestation, you should contact a pest control expert who will be able to advise and offer practical help. Fenland District Council does not recommend any particular service.

The  National Pest Technicians Association (NPTA) and the British Pest Control Association (BPCA) can provide details of local professional pest control services. Alternatively details can be found in telephone directories.

Our advice leaflets offer information about the most common types of pests found. If you have found a pest and don't know what it is or how to treat it, we may be able to identify it and advise how to treat it. 

Pests on public land or neighbouring properties

You can contact us if you are worried about pests or vermin on public land or in neighbouring property. We can help to find the source of the problem and take necessary action.

Filthy and/or Verminous Premises

Filthy or verminous premises are properties that are considered verminous (including rats, mice, insects or parasites including their eggs, larvae and pupae) or in such a filthy condition that is prejudicial to health (this usually means that there is a large amount of rotting food or excrement inside the property). These properties often have a large amount of material that makes access difficult, and that may present a physical or fire risk to the occupants and adjoining premises. For advice, contact Environmental Health by emailing or call 01354 654321.

Non-pests, and limitations to pest control

There are legal restrictions on the ways used to kill animals and wild birds including the use of poisons and trapping, or methods that cause their unnecessary suffering. Exceptions to this include using of poison (or poison bait) in control insects, rats and mice in the interest of public health. If you are controlling pests yourself, you must make reasonable precautions to avoid injury to other animals or people.

Certain animals are protected by UK law. If you are unsure about what is considered to be a pest, or how to deal with pests, contact Environmental Health by emailing or call 01354 654321.


We discourage the treatment of bees for environmental reasons. We will only consider treatments for health and safety reasons, such as if a vulnerable person is at risk. British Beekeepers Association hold a list of names and addresses of bee keepers who may collect the bees for a fee.


All UK bats are protected by law, and it is a criminal offence to kill or injure them. It is also an offence to destroy or obstruct access to their roots. Natural England can offer advice on what to do if you need to move bats or a bat roost.


It is a criminal offence to kill, injure or take any wild birds in the UK. It is also an offence to damage or remove their nests, or to disturb them whilst they are breeding. The bird breeding season usually last from March to August, and work can usually be done outside of this season after the young birds have left their nest.


Gulls are protected by law, although licenses can be issued to allow nests and eggs to be destroyed. This is only to prevent serious damage to agriculture, preserve public health and air safety or to conserve other wild birds. It is illegal to disturb or remove nests or eggs during the breeding season (which is usually April to June.) It is possible to deter seagulls from roosting on buildings by fitting wires and nets to prevent them from landing and fitting short spikes (contained in a special plastic base) to nesting locations.