Severe weather can come in many forms - heavy rain, wind, snow and ice, severe cold, heatwaves and fog.
You can sign up to receive Severe Weather Warnings via email through the Met Office website or to your mobile device by downloading the Met Office App.
The Met Office website also contains a range of advice and seasonal tips to help you deal with severe weather.
In the event of severe weather, some basic advice includes:
- If possible, store some basic supplies
- Keep pets indoors (bring outdoor pets in)
- Close doors and windows
- Secure outdoor belongings such as bikes, bins, garden furniture etc., or if possible bring them indoors
- If the gas, water or electric stop working let the relevant service know - know who your suppliers are and have their contact numbers and your account numbers in a handy place
- Warn vulnerable people in your community. Help them prepare.
Specific advice on coping with:
If you're planning a journey it may be worth checking to see if are any disruptions. You can check local travel news on the following sites:
If you're travelling by train, travel information can be found on the following sites:
- National Rail website and Twitter
- Network Rail website and Twitter
- Greater Anglia website and Twitter
- CrossCountry Trains website and Twitter
- London North Eastern Railway website and Twitter