Severe weather can come in many forms - heavy rain, wind, snow and ice, severe cold, heatwaves and fog.
The Met Office website also contains a range of advice and seasonal tips to help you deal with severe weather.
In the event of severe weather, some basic advice includes:
- If possible, store some basic supplies
- Keep pets indoors (bring outdoor pets in)
- Close doors and windows
- Secure outdoor belongings such as bikes, bins, garden furniture etc., or if possible bring them indoors
- If the gas, water or electric stop working let the relevant service know - know who your suppliers are and have their contact numbers and your account numbers in a handy place
- Warn vulnerable people in your community. Help them prepare.
Specific advice on coping with:
If you're planning a journey it may be worth checking to see if are any disruptions. You can check local travel news on the following sites:
If you're travelling by train, travel information can be found on the following sites:
- National Rail website and Twitter
- Network Rail website and Twitter
- Greater Anglia website and Twitter
- CrossCountry Trains website and Twitter
- London North Eastern Railway website and Twitter