Tattooing/Semi Permanent Tattooing, Ear/Body Piercing, Electrolysis and Acupuncture
You must register yourself and your premises with us if you want to offer the services of tattooing, semi-permanent tattooing, ear or body piercing, electrolysis or acupuncture
It is illegal for anyone to undertake acupuncture, tattooing, ear and body piercing, and electrolysis at any premises without an approved registration from the Council.
The applicant must operate in accordance with Fenland District Council's byelaws which surround maintaining hygienic practices within the registered premises. Applicants must ensure their health and safety procedures cover adequate sterilisation of equipment and facilities used at their premises.
How to register you, your staff and your premises for tattooing, piercing, electrolysis or acupuncture
You need to complete your registration online. You will also need to pay a one-off initial registration fee of £176.
After you've applied, an inspector from our Environmental Health team will visit your premises. They will check your compliance with our bylaws and health and safety requirements. You will also:
- be asked about your experience in the service you are registering for
- need to show that you have a needle pick up service at your proposed premises
- be asked to provide a head and shoulders picture of yourself and all staff carrying out services at your premises. These will be placed onto your certificate of registration
The inspector will approve your registration and issue a licence when they are satisfied with your premises, procedures and paperwork.
Vary a licence
It costs £50.00 to vary a registration. Staff joining a registered premises is a variation so an application must be made.
If you want to remove staff from a current registration, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the details. There is no charge for this.
|Cleanliness of operatives|
The health of the client and suitability of the treatment should be discussed prior to admission.
Persons under 18 years
Persons under 18 years old:
- Can receive a body piercing but only if they have written permission from their parent/guardian, or if their parent/guardian is there during the treatment
- Cannot get a tattoo. It is an offence to tattoo anybody under the age of 18 years, regardless of parental consent.
- Cannot get a nipple or genital piercing, regardless of parental consent.