Toggle menu

Food Business Registration

By law, certain types of food businesses must register with us

By law, you must register your food business with us if you prepare, store, distribute or sell food on premises. This includes:

  • restaurants, cafes and takeaways
  • hotels
  • shops
  • canteens
  • market stalls
  • mobile catering vans
  • food delivery vans
  • food businesses (whether for profit or not) from domestic dwellings

Most food businesses need to be registered. However, food businesses may be exempt if they are:

  • already registered for food law purposes; or
  • domestic dwellings producing for private domestic consumption

Please contact us if you think you are exempt. 

Certain businesses will also need food premises approval.

How to register

It is free to register a food business. Your registration cannot be refused. 

If you use premises in more than one Council area, you must register separately with each authority. 

New businesses

New businesses must register with us at least 28 days before they begin trading. 

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email