Small Society Lottery Registration
How to register a small society lottery
Under the Gambling Act 2005, groups running small society lotteries must register with the local authority where their main office is located.
Small society lotteries can run more than one lottery a year. However:
- no more than £20,000 worth of tickets can be put on sale for each lottery
- the total proceeds during a year must not exceed £250,000
If either limit is likely to be broken, they need to apply to the Gambling Commission for a licence to operate a large society lottery.
Register a Small Society Lottery
To apply, please send us a:
- completed Small Society Lottery application form (PDF) [50KB]
- £40 initial registration fee
- copy of the society's terms and conditions. This is to establish it is a non commercial society. View an example Small Society Lottery constitution (PDF) [21KB]
This can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or posted to the Licensing Team, Fenland Hall, County Road, March, PE15 8NQ.
To keep a registration active, you need to submit a renewal form and a fee of £20 every year.
If we don't receive this then we may cancel your registration. This would mean you have to apply again to run future lotteries.
If we cancel the registration of a society, we are required to tell the Gambling Commission.
After you have run a lottery, you need to complete the Small Society Lottery Returns form (PDF) [39KB] .
This must be done by the end of the third month after the last date when tickets were on sale.